Saturday, February 04, 2006

The # 1 Thing you need on a Ranch?

Well I can say the first and only thing would be a very large sense of HUMOR....You can never have enough of it...If you can not laugh at yourself...Well you just might reconsider that living on a farm is not for you.......It is called a funny farm for good reason. You can never predict what will, has or could happen.....Being prepared with your humor will keep you closer to sanity. Yes, there are sad times as well as chores no one would ever want to do....They are done because the cost is little compared to the benefits...Today's funny would be me going to feed the horses this morning....I have to snicker that with the winds blowing at 70 MPH it has assisted me in several ways, but has hindered others....I do not need to sweep the feed up because it is now wedged against the carport back door....The Alpacas are wet and buckling down under a tree and trying to snatch feed while it flies by them...I hull up the three flakes of feed on my right shoulder and balance it against my head. I am half way to the gate and a gust of wind picks half the feed up and away from my grip...I am forced to decide to hold onto what is left and retrieve the wayward feed later or try to pick it up and keep what I have intact..Both choices? Alright feed first retrieve in a moment... I dump my load into the feed buckets...Something out of the Wizard of Oz flies past me the horses spook and I stand motionless in the wind while the horse swirl around me...The lost feed is now air born and appears as if falling from the sky....The horses try to catch the drifting feed as if it is a game....I go through the pastures picking up yet more things that we do not own but are now located here....The barn makes noises that are out of a horror film and the cats are on my heels to let them in. I find the poor old Buluga dog pacing in and out of the bedroom....The small trees across the street are now for the most part down....The news informs me that there are massive power outages. Clearly not here yet...We are prepared for such a thing.... But it will not make any differance as today I will be out with the fence guy trying to finish the long overdue job... We must get the Alpacas moved to the larger pasture as they are in a pen that is almost a total lost and will have to recover somehow. Yes, with the wind is the driving rains.....Over and out to the funny farm work....

No comments: