Sunday, February 12, 2006

A wonderfully Sunny Weekend

Well the full day of homecoming all went as good as a day of chaos could....The three new Alpacas and the pair of goats come to our ranch, their new home is a new and strange place.... The other Alpacas had not been around goats and all was a like new playground...John came in late Friday night and we decided to let the new guys settle in prior to putting the whole herd out in one pasture. So we finished up hog wire and hot wire on Saturday and planned to move our whole herd together on Sunday morning. Well, I being me decided that I would wave the magic grain and all four Alpacas would, like good little boys, follow the momma to the huge pasture that awaited all with new buddies.....I opened up the small gate and NO ONE would venture out...I got behind them , no luck. We left the new pasture gate open and the next thing we knew is all has gone horribly wrong.... We have 7 Alpacas, 2 goats and a huge 200 pound sheep racing out into the fully enclosed property. Now we are faced with a bigger problem. We are but two, old and out of shape and very tired 40+ year olds trying to chase and herd very young Alpacas and the three strays into the now empty pasture. The cats see the free for all and by God if that sheep does not head straight for Jezzy...Who is trying to eat his grain. Jezzy has lost a few pounds and we feed him outside of the paddocks so the two other pigs ( horses) do not run him off the extra rations he is getting...The sheep's best friend ( Jazmine the pygmy goat) are now trying to challenge a 1000 pound horse. Jessy snorts and the 25 pound little goat head butts the huge towering horse as if he an equal. Jessy allows me to run off the annoyances and I then proceed to try and round up the group while my husband chats on his cell phone as if I alone will mange this chaos. Somehow I know he is giving a blow by blow account of the humorous wife now sweating and wondering how he could see my anguish as he continues on with said call... The other pygmy goat, shadow is dutifully on John's heel waiting for attention. I now have the herd close to the gate I scream at John and we have the Alpacas in but not the massive masked sheep ( Lucky Lucy) I inform her she is lucky she wont be dinner if she does not get in there. I am now at wits end and the husband, thank God has lost reception. HAH! He is fed up and heads to the house for his rope...I fear for the very welfare of Lucy.....John swirls rope over head like an old pro I see his eyes glissen as he lets the rope loose, misses head but manages to get the left rear leg...They both struggle for control she wants freedom he wants her to follow by force to the pasture. She goes down and refuses to budge in any way. I am now given the rope and she is very strong we try our own control...We are now both laying on the ground, one girl and one sheep. John tries to lift, push and pull...No way.. All the while Jazmine is nipping and licking Lucy I start to laugh all to John's irritation. I get behind her and now goose her in the rear until she moves...A few feet and we do this for at least 50 feet...She finally heads to gate, I'm hoping that the buddy goat follows..... I am now rewarded with a new ranch wound from the rope and blood is now running down my little finger. Everyone is now in the right place and Jezzy peacefully finishes his food while we decide if it is now our turn to get our breakfast. John is cranky that we have wasted an hour playing rodeo clowns..I can only snicker inside knowing that each car that passed must have been rolling by slowly enjoying a good laugh at our expense. Breakfast goes well and we return to the outdoors to finish moving the goat house about 200 feet. This is a huge box made well and we mount it on a wheel barrow and struggle to keep it balanced over the driveway and over the soggy grass. We lay in the warm pasture and enjoy the antics and the sun for awhile...It is all too soon before he has to leave....The house is a whirlwind train wreck and I am left to clean the debris of our visit and the now pouting Buluga dog....The full moon hangs just above the Cascade Mountains and all is well at the Halleyville Ranch.

3 comments:

FarmWife said...

Fabulously Funny! I read it aloud to Husband (as I do much of your writing). Hope you're having a good anniversary. And I hope you recover well from the escapade with the newest members of your herd! I may move out into the hog shed just to watch the piglets.

Farm Fairy & Bruno said...

I too read your blog and roll with laughter..I asked my husband if I could have a polka dot piglet...He just said no....I think if I beg enough he'll say yes...your piglet pics are the best...

FarmWife said...

Can you send piglets through the US Postal Service? I don't see why not, that's how we got the chickens.