Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sisterhood

Okay one of my very best friends came to visit...Twice in the same week..Today she had her grown daughter with her...J works at the post office and a tanning salon...She is very sweet and very pretty and usually very smart...We both joke about how God likes the dumb ones...Anyway she is her with Linda and we go out to visit the horses first J has camera and apples...And I open up the round pen that is not yet had it's daily cleaning yet and look down to notice J has on open toed summer sandals..She KNOWS this is a ranch....She too KNOWS that the 3 horses weigh at least a 1000# Playboy comes in at 1200#......I offer one of the many pairs of boots including my new polka dots....A stern warning goes out to her and I allow city chickie who will kiss any living creature on the planet earth go on in....Now we all know that horses are motivated by FOOD...And she has 5#'s of rosy red apples....Horses crowd her and she remains unaware of the hoof's that are just a few inches from her granola cruncher leather sandals... Somehow no one has told J that it is well below40 degrees and at the very moment that the sun goes behind a tree it will be far colder..We finally go out to pasture containing goats, sheep and all the Alpacas...She allows Shadow to climb and kiss on her..I still can not believe she is in those damn shoes...No strike that I know she is in them and all because they " go with the cute sweats she is wearing" now mind you I am bundledup one pair polka dot boots, stipped hand made socks ( gift from Liz) my husbands plaid flannel shirt, long braids with red ties and the famous leopard print headband and black and white rubber gloves oh and the fatigue pants....It does not occur to me what I look like ( CLEARLY) and I only realize this when my parents pull up and my mother rolls her eyes at which time I show her my cool socks!!!None of the animals seem to care as long as I have grain or goodies...I just stopped long enough to get lunch, yes I do know what time it is but I had to repair several things as well as entertain the masses with the farm life that they all envy...I can not but giggle that most of my friends who love to come and snuggle up would not last a week as a ranch hand/wife... There are several friends that are farmers and they are the exception...Most care not for fador fastion none of us would be able to keep anything clean for long to begin with let alone know how to care for sandals....I can only imagine Liz in a pair with one of her crazy cute mini horses trying to nibble at any exposed body part...Goats love toes and I can tell you that our two goods will investigate just about anything...Linda's dog Cody is in a full tizzie as this is the first real farm she has gone to were she can run wild the Alpacas pace her like a school of fish from the otherside of the fence....The poor goats just want to make a new friend of the dog. Goat there of mine at least here is the more the merrier...Out to give beet pulp to the beloved Jezzy....My mom laughted at how huge one small cup will expand too at least 3 quarts...Off to the chores that I have put off...Yes, I'm going out there in the same clothes heck they are not wet or dirty yet...I spent the better part of the morning drilling hole in the 110 gal water tank as Playboy decided to PLAY with the water heater...I resorted to taking the canning jar holder zip stepped it around the floating heater and then zip stripped it all to the edge so goof ball would not pull it out at midnight .... I do not want to sledge hammer ice again, the last time the hammer flew across ice and I was lucky enough not to have it hit one of the horses or myself..Metal and ice meeting one another does not work out well for the most part..My husband should have informed me of this prior to my BIG IDEA!!!

2 comments:

FarmWife said...

City Girls! What'a ya gonna' do? I can't talk. I got stepped on by our horse while wearing flip flops her first year. No more Manolo Blahniks in the pasture!

Farm Fairy & Bruno said...

what the hell are Manolo Blahniks?