Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Big Freeze


Now then the Pacific Northwest is not known to be all that cold, wet yes, cold rarely. I have spent the last few days on the farm getting ready for the Big Freeze. Warnings that we will fall below the 2 degrees....here? yes and the Artic winds will make it yet colder. So I have been building a shelter for the Alpacas...I know that they are use to the very cold...But all the Alpacas we have have been born and raised here...hence my guilt that they have no shelter in the new pasture. So I spent the whole day yesterday in the freezing cold far past dark trying to get it finished.I was so tired that my dinner choice was a bowl of cheerios. Spoke with Liz and she will be out to help me with the final touch ups and to fill the shelter with fir chips...Liz had a good laugh when I told her that when I was 9 years old I hauled my favorite 300# pig into the house and into my bed because I was certain that she ( Judy, the pig) would freeze to death and die in the blizzard...Now being 9 years old you think that 10 inches of snow is a blizzard.....oh the trouble I was in... it is now 30 + years later and I sit here at well below zero wondering if the pigmy goats will be okay..at least they are less than 40# each...John would kill me if I even thought of bringing them in...this is of course the same man who informed me upon our first week of being married that cats are to live in the barn. Period....we now have two cats inside fat boy Thomas is the one who gets UNDER the blankets and snores right next to husband.... I can only laught about it....well it is about to be one of the coldest days in the past 20 some years. I was clocked in the eye yesterday and woke with the knot still on my head right above my left eye...it was freezing at the time so I felt little until this morning...I suppose within a few moments outside it will feel as it I have an ice pack on it, yet another reason to spend the day outside...As you can tell I'm trying to talk myself into it with a smile...I have a list a mile long including running the water heaters out to the watertanks that are now at risk of freezing solid. The full moon and stars let me just how cold it will be, Thursday and Friday are to be the worst. The folks that live here have no idea how to drive here when it is like this so I plan on not leaving. Other than going to the hardware and feed store I plan on staying put. The pale blue sky is warning me sunrise is here and I must get a move on if I am too finish by dark. Have a good day and stay warm.

1 comment:

FarmWife said...

What a beautiful picture! Try not to get frost bite today! We're supposed to hit 60 degrees this afternoon. It was in the teens 3 days ago.